Monday, October 17, 2005

Excel can be a difficult program to master, especially for a teacher that has difficulty with mathematical logic. Once mastered though, Excel is a tool that can enhance learning within the classroom. I would firstly use Excel within my classroom to clarify the understanding of content in my class, through visual representation. I have always learned content better as a student through visual interpretation of material, especially numbers. I believe it would be a lot easier for many students to understand and interpret facts and figures through colourful bar graphs, pie charts, and intensity maps. Excel would also allow my students to use the software to plot their own data, and again readily interpret it. Excel can also easily convert any chart or data set into a web page, which allows for students to collaborate on projects by discussing data at home, in different cities, and even different countries. Excel allows for multicultural learning. Like many other programs we have reviewed in this course, Excel expands learning and knowledge past the walls of a classroom or a school. I have always had a difficulty seeing the relationships with numbers, but I could utilize Excel in my classes through its ability to quickly produce charts and graphs.

Excel can again be a difficult program to master for both teacher and student, so online tutorials are another tool that can be used to learn to operate the Excel program. Online tutorials not only give my students the hands-on active learning to more readily learn the program, but also give profuse amounts of templates, games and activities for students to incorporate into their classes and learning.

A link that drew my attention was; http://www.lessonplanet.com/search/Teacher_Resources/Technology/Spreadsheets
This link had spreadsheet lessons in anything from dinosaurs to ‘what colours are your skittles?’, to dieting and what you are eating for dinner each night. I liked the site because of its numerous activities, which seemed attractive for students using Excel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home